"The whole movement of life is learning" (Krishnamurti). "To be an act of knowing, then, the adult literacy process must engage the learners in the constant problematizing of their existential situations" (Freire). "Once you learn to read, you will be forever free" (Douglass). "I can learn anything I have the desire to learn" (White, S.G.).

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Richmond Jail

I'm passing this along from Bill and VCU colleague Dave Coogan. 

"I want to see if we can figure out a way to get some of your  adult ed students ...down to the city jail... I'm sure there's more we could do to smooth the path for students interested in the opportunity. Perhaps you know others in the School of Ed, other groups of students/programs, who'd like to get involved. They do a hell of a lot of GED certificates there. Any one interested in assisting in that capacity in any subject would be most welcomed!"

Anyone interested in organizing a visit?  It's an opportunity to learn about another part of adult literacy education. 
Also, FYI

Join THE LONG WALK TO FREEDOM on SAT., NOV. 17, 9am-noon. Help raise awareness of the challenges former prisoners face as they try to rebuild their lives and become productive members of society. Hear their stories. The 3 mile walk starts at the City Jail and ends at the Conrad Center with a prisoners’ art and craft auction.  This year’s walk focuses on restoration of voting rights. There will be a petition to the Governor there for those who want to sign. The Walk also raises funds for 15 programs supporting successful reentry.  Donation: $15.00.  For information and registration, go to:  www.longwalktofreedom.org Questions: Call Beatrice Robinson at BOAZ AND RUTH (804)329-4900.

2 comments:

  1. I am SO interested in this! I tried, several years ago to offer my volunteer instructional services, but to no avail. That was under another Sherrif, however, so I am assuming the welcoming of "outsiders" by the "insiders" might have changed. OAR (Offender Aid and Restoration), which I know is the organization David Coogan works with, has an established relationship, which I would recommend working through.

    I would like to think about devoting time starting this summer, after graduation (for me!). I'll have a bit more open schedule. I am particularly interested in working with the women, who have a bit less structured educational opportunities, it seems. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to find out more b/c correctional education is a part of our career field, one that probably has more full time jobs and funding than many others, and one that I know very little about. I think we should organize a trip.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this post. Diverse opinions are welcomed.