"The whole movement of life is learning" (Krishnamurti). "To be an act of knowing, then, the adult literacy process must engage the learners in the constant problematizing of their existential situations" (Freire). "Once you learn to read, you will be forever free" (Douglass). "I can learn anything I have the desire to learn" (White, S.G.).

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Should be called Tweeter

I've never learned so much about twitter! Most of what I knew came from overhearing my students talk about it. I knew you could “follow” people and “retweet” “tweets” - which I think should be called “twits” but isn't for obvious reasons. I just saw it as another distraction for teenagers, something to do instead of schoolwork. I had not considered how my students were using the social media to construct ideas of themselves or how I could use their obsession with social media to enhance the teaching of literature such as an author's purpose or, especially, the intended audience. I did have students create Facebook pages for characters in an effort to jazz up/update typical character analysis, but I more like the idea of asking students questions that will put them in the place of the author and make them analyze the behaviors they are already doing. Read the word and the world, right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this post. Diverse opinions are welcomed.