"The whole movement of life is learning" (Krishnamurti). "To be an act of knowing, then, the adult literacy process must engage the learners in the constant problematizing of their existential situations" (Freire). "Once you learn to read, you will be forever free" (Douglass). "I can learn anything I have the desire to learn" (White, S.G.).

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

sTuDy cASe: trois, two, uno??

I had an AH-HA moment when I realized that in this course I would start to understand what I was learning today, in two weeks.  I found myself laughing, ironically at first, and then it turned to a confusing giggle.  

Hello? Is anyone else out there?

Though my style of learning and teaching is different, I am starting to identify (or think I am) the approach of generative critical thinking.  However, the act of understanding it is still, let's say, in the works!  Generating words and thoughts that lead to other words and thoughts that continue to lead to other words and thoughts is a laborious process that seems to have no concrete end.  Do I think it's a valuable endeavor? To my surprise, yes.  We've seen consistent proof of it in our readings and in the efforts of the authors of our texts.  But personally, I can honestly say that this process gets me out of my comfort zone, into a zone of the unknown....and this girl likes to know where she is going.



I've been through enough 'unknown territory' in my life to know that it is in this terrain where my skills get sharpened, my ideas are enhanced, and my experiences during this journey end up helping others.  These results have helped to build new routes in my life.  But these conclusions were not exposed while traveling the 'unknown territory' tour; they were revealed through my intentional effort of reflecting and questioning what had happened during that time.  Once I had an answer, I reflected and questioned that as well, until I was genuinely satisfied with the interpretation of what had happened.  Therefore, the generative critical thinking process in this course is not that different.

It has taken me seven weeks to realize that this is what could be happening in this class. In the end, I know it'll all be well, at least that is what all my graduating classmates have told me.  But I think they say that because upon my questioning the approach of this class, they all mentally reflect on their experience and have no doubts when stating that it has been one of the best classes they have taken.  There it goes again, reflecting.  I guess new routes ARE coming soon!


1 comment:

  1. As we discussed in class, this is an excellent example of learning as a process from dis-orientation to orientation. Here is the link to the Edward Cell book that touches on things like "trans-situational" learning. http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Learn-Experience-Edward-Cell/dp/0873958330

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this post. Diverse opinions are welcomed.