"The whole movement of life is learning" (Krishnamurti). "To be an act of knowing, then, the adult literacy process must engage the learners in the constant problematizing of their existential situations" (Freire). "Once you learn to read, you will be forever free" (Douglass). "I can learn anything I have the desire to learn" (White, S.G.).

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Agile: Committed vs. Involved

Here's a quick post to open up to "the room" for additional questions about my presentation on Tuesday. 

One thing I wanted to explain further was the pig vs. chicken cartoon. The principle behind the cartoon is that the pig is committed, meaning that he gives it his all. In fact, ultimately he becomes ham. He is changed forever because of his commitment to this project/cause. The chicken on the other hand, really just comes and goes through the process, because she can lay her eggs and then move on to the next project, place or idea.

Agile aside, the idea is pretty interesting.You can ask yourself if you are committed or involved on any number of events in your life. Are you all in? Or do you have one foot out the door?

I've already set up a meeting with my Product Owner (aka business owner in charge) to review my research findings for next week. I'm hoping to make some changes, even if they are small. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    So in your role are you a scrum master since you help build and deliver training products?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen! To be honest I did not understand that analogy in class, but it totally makes sense now. That's so funny and creative! You mentioned that people said very different things in their interviews than what you expected. What were you actually expecting them to say about the process?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I realized that I never finished explaining the analogy in class, and so I wanted to share it here. I think I was expecting people to say they followed the same process. I didn't expect there to be so many variations. In fact, I couldn't even tell what would be considered normal. I know what the research tells me (stories, sprints, burndown, rinse, repeat), but watching each team internalize it their own way makes me wonder if the system is flawed or if it's truly designed to be flexible.
    Lindsey, great question, I am just a "team member". There are actually four of us working on the training for this program, which is unheard of, as we usually never assign more than two people. But I even hired another contractor last week to help us build out the next phase. The project manager is the scrum master.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this post. Diverse opinions are welcomed.